Editor’s note: This is part of a series of stories exploring what Gordon professors are up to in between semesters.

Dr. Stephen Smith, professor of economics and business, took four of his students June 6–9 to a conference entitled “Purpose & Prosperity” in Washington, D.C., sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).  Smith was asked to speak on a Friday morning panel entitled, “The Morality of Wealth,” and is pictured here on that panel, far left. Other  issues addressed at the conference included social security, feminism and freedom, economics and the crisis of family, and financial cycles and human prosperity. Here’s some of what Smith said about the experience:

“The AEI’s conference hosted approximately 75 college students from across the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, with approximately 25 faculty, drawn mostly from the social sciences.  This year’s student attendees from Gordon were Joy Jeon, Julia Marra, Rusty Hawkins, and Jordan Frank. 

I would have been pleased enough to go to the conference with these excellent students. But I was delighted when they invited me to be part of a panel debate on the ‘Morality of Wealth.’ I argued that one of the compelling moral arguments in favor of economic growth is its efficacy at raising the poor out of absolute poverty.”